Support Our Mission
Local community hospitals across the nation provide people with preventative, emergency, surgical, specialized, and hospital care. Chambersburg Hospital and Waynesboro Hospital were both established through the generosity of area residents like you.
Chambersburg Hospital opened its doors in 1895, just 30 years after the Civil War, in a rented residential home on South Main Street. Charitable gifts from the community provided for staff and supplies. Individuals, civic groups, and businesses then gifted over $34,000 in 1905 to build the first hospital at its current location.
Residents in the Waynesboro area provided donations to build Waynesboro Hospital in response to the 1918 – 1919 Spanish Influenza Pandemic. The flu killed millions around the globe and over 600,000 U.S. residents. The Waynesboro area was not spared. Residents joined together to raise money to build their own community hospital which opened in 1922.
As improvements were needed over the ensuing decades, residents again rose to the challenges to ensure outstanding care would remain available via their community hospitals.
Not only have donations allowed for facility expansion and renovations, they’re vital to providing the funds that allow us to:
- hire and retain committed physicians who want to practice in a rural community
- attract caring and compassionate nurses and advanced clinical practitioners
- install state-of-the-art medical equipment that benefits patients
- provide essential medical supplies and medications needed to care for patients
- add specialty practices for patient medical needs beyond general care